Welcome to the new Total War launcher!
We’re happy to announce that we’ve just rolled out a new launcher for Total War: ATTILA, Total War: ROME II, Total War Saga: THRONES OF BRITANNIA, Total War: WARHAMMER, and Total War: WARHAMMER II.
PLEASE NOTE: We recommend that all modders back up their mod descriptions from Steam before updating their mods. Once done, you can update any mod descriptions that may have been deleted.
The Total War launcher is an important hub for all our Total War games and we’re committed to improving it to ensure that it provides the best experience for all fans of our games. This release is the next step in an ongoing cycle of support and development to help shape our launcher into the perfect window into the world of Total War.
If you have any feedback on the new launcher, please let us know in this thread on the official forums.
What features does it have?
The launcher has three key features: the Game menu, the Store, and the Mod Manager. These will change the information they show depending on whether you own a specific game or not.
This is the primary menu for each Total War title, and a great place to find all the latest news and information about them. This menu knows if you own a game or not and whether it is currently installed, and will update itself to match. In addition, you can also access certain launch options if the game in question has them.
This section of the launcher shows you all the content related to a specific Total War game including all available DLC and FLC. Clicking on a specific piece of content will link you straight to the Steam store, with the launcher reacting to your current ownership status of each game.
Finally we come to the new Mod Manager menu, which gives you much more launcher space to view your mod lists in.
This new version supports all the features of the previous version with a couple of new additions:
- It has a number of options to filter and sort the mods you have downloaded
- You can choose to (de)activate mods one by one or en masse
- View many more details of the mods you have installed, calling up the entire Steam Workshop page within the mod manager
- You can see the status of the mod, whether it’s up to date, or one of your own mod projects. You can also delete mods within the Mod Manager
- You can also change the load order of mods if you need to. Most modders build their mods with default load orders in mind, so you’ll get presented an error message before you change any load orders just in case. If you’re worried you’ve messed up the load order, you can also set it back to default
- Finally, we’ve updated the mod warning message, which when dismissed will take you back to the launcher to allow you to further tweak your active mod list
We hope you like the new Total War launcher!
Once again, if you have any feedback, please let us know in this thread on the official forums.
Notes on our Beta Launcher
A few things we’re aware of and will address in subsequent patches as we continue to improve the overall experience:
- When updating a mod, the Mod Description is deleted on the Steam Workshop
- The drag-and-drop UI to reorder mods needs some improvement
- Mods that change startpos data for ROME II can’t be processed
- “Coming soon” tooltip for THREE KINGDOMS Mod Manager is not localised
- The Mod Manager is greyed out for most games. The Mod Manager will only be active for the game you’ve launched from. A tooltip will be added to make this clearer after release
A few things to note that are intentional in the design but may be perceived as issues by some users:
- The launcher matches the Steam UI language as opposed to the preferred in-game language (this is a change from the previous launcher)
- Promotional or game-related content within the launcher is not localised (English only). Only the UI in the launcher (buttons, notice messages, options) have been localised
My launcher will not load
- If your Launcher is not loading, please open the following location, “Drive”:Users”USER”AppDataRoamingThe Creative Assembly
and delete the “Launcher” folder if it is present. This will remove any corrupted or old Launcher data.
- If you have an antivirus software installed, it may have erroneously quarantined or deleted the Launcher application. Please use the “Verify your game files” option on Steam which will redownload any missing files and either:
- Create permissions for the launcher by making an exception
- Disabling antivirus software whilst redownloading/ re-launching game
My game crashes upon clicking the “Play” button
Please submit a ticket to our Sega Customer Support team: https://support.sega.co.uk/ providing us with the following files:
- Crash MiniDump File: Drive:Users”User”AppDataRoamingThe Creative Assembly”Game_Title”crash_report
- Modified Log: Drive:Users”User”AppDataRoamingThe Creative Assembly”Game_Title”logs
- Mod data file (moddata.dat): “Drive”!:Users”User”AppDataRoamingThe Creative AssemblyLauncher
- Preferences Script: Drive:Users”User”AppDataRoamingThe Creative Assembly”Game_Title”scripts
- Save Game: Single Player: Drive:Users”User”AppDataRoamingThe Creative Assembly”Game_Title”save_games
The continue campaign option sends me to the main menu of the game
- Please submit a ticket to our Sega Customer Support team at https://support.sega.co.uk/ with details about the issue and the attached save game file
- If you have recently purchased or activated DLC content, please ensure any content present in the save game is enabled on Steam
My mod is not working in game, or not appearing in the Mod Manager
- Make sure your mod is enabled in the new Mod Manager and when loading the game please ensure you click “Play” when a warning notice appears about using mods.
- Please close the Launcher and delete the Launcher folder present in: Drive:Users”USER”AppDataRoamingThe Creative Assembly
- A new Launcher folder will be generated upon opening the Launcher again.
- If the issue still persists can you please submit a Customer Support ticket via https://support.sega.co.uk/ and provide us with the following:
- Mod data file (moddata.dat): Drive:Users”User”AppDataRoamingThe Creative AssemblyLauncher
- Modified.Log file: Drive:Users”User”AppDataRoamingThe Creative Assembly”Game_Title”logs
- If you feel it is a specific mod causing this issue please provide the Steam Workshop URL to this mod
- If a Mod you are creating is not showing in the Mod Manager, please make sure they are located in the correct folder: Drive:SteamLibrarysteamappscommon”Game_Title”data
The mod list in the notice for mods enabled shows random strings of characters instead of my mod name.
- Please close the Launcher and delete the Launcher folder present in: Drive:UsersUserAppDataRoamingThe Creative Assembly
- A new Launcher folder will be generated upon opening the Launcher again
My mod is still not working
Please close the Launcher and delete the Launcher folder present in: Drive:Users”User”AppDataRoamingThe Creative Assembly
A new Launcher folder will be generated upon opening the Launcher again.
- Please try re-exporting your mod using the Assembly Kit tools, and make sure it’s in the relevant data folder: Drive:SteamLibrarysteamappscommon”Game_Title”data
- If the issue still persists can you please submit a Customer Support ticket via https://support.sega.co.uk/