Total War: WARHAMMER II – The Twisted & The Twilight FAQ
The Twisted & The Twilight is the latest Legendary Lords Pack for Total War: WARHAMMER II, and introduces two rival Legendary Lords from the world of Warhammer Fantasy Battles, each with their own factions, objectives, mechanics, units and playstyle, for use in both the Eye of the Vortex and Mortal Empires campaigns as well as custom and multiplayer battles.
Throt the Unclean, Master Mutator of Clan Moulder, has grown ravenously hungry following a lifetime of mutating experiments, believing that consuming the magic of Ariel, Queen of the Wood Elves, can save him from his eternal starvation. He is opposed by the Sisters of Twilight, Elven twins who were once a single being before being split into two bodies by the Weave. Together they must complete their mission to prepare the glade for Ariel’s ritual, which will heal the rift in the world.
The Twisted & The Twilight includes:
- Two unique Legendary Lords leading their own factions:
- Throt the Unclean, Master Mutator of Clan Moulder and one of the nine Lords of Hell Pit
- The Sisters of Twilight Naestra and Arahan, Emissaries of Queen Ariel
- Powerful new units and Heroes for both the Skaven and the Wood Elves, including:
- Brood Horrors, Mutant Rat Ogres, Packmasters, Wolf Rats, and the terrifying Ghoritch for the Skaven
- Zoats, Great Stag Knights, Bladesingers, Spellweavers, and Queen Ariel of Athel Loren herself for the Wood Elves
- An Old World Update for the Wood Elves
For full details on The Twisted & The Twilight, including the full unit rosters for both Legendary Lords, head over to the Steam page to read more as well as get 10% off the launch price if you pre-order.
When will The Twisted & The Twilight be released?
The Twisted & The Twilight will be released on the 3rd of December 2020.
Is there a pre-purchase discount?
You’ll get a 10% discount if you pre-purchase The Twisted & The Twilight on Steam before release.
Do I need to start a new campaign?
If you want to make the most of the recent plethora of changes then yes, we’d advise that you do start a new campaign.
Can I keep my mods?
We advise that you remove all mods until their respective creators have updated them in alignment with the update.
Steam is not installing the DLC or the free-LC – what’s happening?
Be patient. If there’s an issue with the DLC, we will communicate this via our official social channels. If you don’t see anything there, you should clear your cache and restart Steam.
Will the new Legendary Lords be available in both the Eye of the Vortex and Mortal Empires campaign?
Yes, The Twisted & The Twilight will be available to play in both the Eye of the Vortex and Mortal Empires Campaign, and can also be used in campaign, custom, and battle modes.
What new units will be available in The Twisted & The Twilight?
The Twisted & The Twilight introduces the following new units for the Skaven: Ghoritch (Legendary Hero), Brood Horrors, Mutant Rat Ogres, Packmasters, and Wolf Rats.
It also includes the following new units for the Wood Elves: Ariel (Legendary Hero), Zoats, Great Stag Knights, Bladesingers, and Spellweavers.
What new mechanics will Throt the Unclean bring to The Twisted & The Twilight?
The new campaign mechanic for Throt the Unclean is The Flesh Laboratory.
When playing as Throt the Unclean, you gain access to his personal Flesh Laboratory. Here you can grow new monsters or augment existing ones to create new horrific abominations.
- Shape and customise your units with augments that can be stacked to create different combinations of effects
- Augmenting a unit too much can make them unstable and lead them to slowly mutate, gaining negative traits
- Units can be “recycled” for raw materials, so even defective units still have a purpose
- Recycled units can also be replaced by monsters grown in the Growth Vat
- The more Growth Juice in the Growth Vat, the better the quality of monster that comes out
What new mechanics will the Sisters of Twilight bring to The Twisted & The Twilight?
The new campaign mechanic for the Sisters of Twilight is The Forge of Daith.
During a Sisters of Twilight campaign, the Sisters will gain a series of incidents and dilemmas that will grant them access to unique items crafted by Daith, the master smith of Vaul’s Anvil.
These dilemmas will enable the creation of new items or the upgrade of existing items made by Daith.
What’s the free content that will be released alongside the DLC?
The Twisted & The Twilight will be accompanied by the release of the Skaven Chieftain Hero and the malevolent Legendary Lord Drycha – more information will be released soon.
What’s in the free Old World update that will be released alongside the DLC?
The Twisted & The Twilight will be released alongside an update of the Wood Elves faction. This includes:
AMBER AND TECHNOLOGY REWORK
- Amber is no longer required for units or buildings, and all technologies that previously cost Amber have had the cost removed and been reworked
- Eight new technologies have been added – these are the only things that will now cost Amber
- Amber is no longer gained from controlling territory, and is instead awarded for healing Forests
HEALING THE FORESTS
- In Mortal Empires, the Wood Elves still need to heal Athel Loren and restore the Oak of Ages. However, to do so they now need to travel the world and heal special Forest regions spread around the map. Each healed Forest will provide unique bonuses
- A Forest’s health can be built up over time through various actions, such by securing its borders and building certain buildings. Once sufficiently restored, a Ritual can be performed to permanently heal the Forest
- Every Forest also has unique Forest Encounters – interactable markers that provide narrative choices and let the player shape how they heal the Forest
- As part of this system, new regions have been added to the campaign – four to Mortal Empires, and two to Vortex – giving the Wood Elves a presence on every part of the map
TRAVELLING THE DEEPROOTS
- Wood Elves can now instantly transport their armies between Forest regions using the new Travel Deeproots ability (this ability comes with a cooldown)
When will the free content be available?
On the release day of The Twisted & The Twilight – the 3rd of December 2020.
Will The Twisted & The Twilight be released on macOS and Linux?
This will be coming shortly after the release of The Twisted & The Twilight – stay tuned!